Thursday, December 30, 2010

Swindonians

A letter to Gateway Church Swindon...



To the church called Gateway, in the town of Swindon. May you know the full extent of the confidence with which you can approach the Father, because of the Son’s great love and self-sacrifice for you.

I’ve been away for long enough now that this whole moving to Canada business no longer feels like just a little break from the norm. As this reality sinks into my soul it does strange things to me! Sometimes I ache in a way that is without easy definition. Although God has, in his grace, transplanted us into a new family -  I long for the sweet, easy familiarity and affection we had when we were with you.

It’s not that I’ve had a change of heart. Or that coming to Canada is wrong for us.

I simply want to see you all again. Not so that I can impress you with tales of our travels, but because I feel that God is doing so much in you that I am jealous to witness for myself your continuing journey as a people marked out by Christ.

So this ‘letter home’ is a dedication to you, the good people of Gateway Church Swindon.
It’s what I remember when I think of you. It’s what I would say to you were I there with you in person. It’s what I feel God would remind you of for this next season that you are entering. (And I’m not talking about the weather).   A prophetic reminder, if you will…

Always welcome “Amazingly” - You gave me and Susie such a great welcome, even when we were not yet part of God’s Kingdom: your unconditional love and acceptance of us so reflected the heart of the Father who abandons his honoured position and runs toward the prodigal son.

God opposes the proud, but shows favour to the humble. And God would raise you up because of your continued, humble, seeking of Him.

Maintain a teachable spirit. Revelation is God’s business. He gives us all we need – The Word and The Spirit. As Isaiah said ‘Here am I. Send me’ and so, in response to Isaiah’s teachableness (is that even a word?) God gave him special revelation for the people of his day. In the same way, God will use you as you remain open to His teaching and join with Isaiah in saying ‘here I am, send me’.  

Uphold each other in the highest regard, as Christ upheld you when he gave his life for you, so you should uphold one another - encourage one another to overcome evil by doing good.

Listen closely to the Holy Spirit. Do not become so enamoured with your own ideas for your life that you miss what God is saying. Confusing your ideas for God’s only leads to disappointment. “Do not conform to the pattern of this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind. Then you will be able to test and approve what God’s will is – his good, pleasing and perfect will.” (Romans 12:2) Do not force God’s hand, but instead create opportunities in your life for Him to move. Align your life to the Spirit’s will. Die to your own will.

In God’s kingdom there is no ‘hierarchy’. At the moment you became a Christian your life was hidden in Christ. Therefore there is no ‘higher’ you can go from the moment of Salvation. You are already co-heirs with Christ. What you do after that moment is nothing more than the fulfillment of the truth sealed in that moment, for in that moment your identity was forever secure and your name forever written in the book of life.

God does not use people who think they have it all together. It is in our weakness that God’s power is revealed. Jesus said – ‘You will receive power to be my witnesses’. God’s work is achieved by God’s power, not man’s. 

I say all of these things not because I know any of them any better. Nor because I fear that you are slipping away from any of these points. I say them because it’s what I recall when I think of you all and to encourage you to energetically continue your pursuit of the whole Gospel of Christ. Be bold and very courageous, for the Lord your God is with you Swindon!

Can’t wait to be with you all again some day!

Love and Peace
Bruce.



No comments:

Post a Comment